Welcome to the course ICT4D with focus on technology
The course offers opportunity to acquire broad knowledge on how information and communication technologies function, what are the challenges faced when implemented in developing countries and how to select apprpriate technology for a particular setting. It is assumed that students have knowledge in using ICT, hence the focus is on the operation and implementation of different technologies.
After finishing the course students are expected to achieve the following.
- Understand how Internet works and the reasons behind the digital divide (uneven spread of the Internet);
- Recognise ICT devices that are low-power, robust, and affordable;
- Categorise different types of network connectivity and their characteristics;
- Differentiate between free and open access software and hardware and understand its importance for developing world;
- Identify the significance of cloud computing and Web 2.0 for developing world;
- Analyse whether particular problems can be addressed by using ICT with respect to the available resources (financial, human, technological);
- Select appropriate ICT and create concept map for its implementation and evaluation in situations where this is feasible, desirable and brings positive change.
Read the Learner's guide for all details about the course. In case you cannot find answers in the Larner's guied use the discussion forum for all questions about the course.