Case 2 - Description and assignment
Poverty alleviation and education for all are two central development goals. There are a lot of hindrances - such as high fees, females not allowed to study, religious aspects, etc. - that make the realisation of these goals difficult and thus millions are limited in their future opportunities to grow and learn.
The dilemma then is how can we utilize ICT in order to address poverty and education for all. Specifically, if you are given 100,000 USD to best address poverty and/or education in the slum areas of a developing country how best should you use the funds for an ICT effort.
- What type of ICT investment do you choose (why and motivate):
- desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones, etc
- Web portals, smartphone apps, etc.
- Hardware and Software
- Who should be the recipient of the investment?
- Poor in slums
- Describe and plan the length and duration of your ICT effort. What are the intended outcomes? Is the project sustainable after the funding is used? Is the project scalable, i.e. can the project be increased in size over time to reach a greater audience.
Please write down your individual answers
Compare them with your peer´s.
Point to what factors you prioritized over others when making your decisions.
Identify and discuss the main advantages and risks of your choice and of the alternatives that were not chosen.
Eventually re-write your decision if the group discussion caused you to re-consider your choices or challenge the assumptions you had made.
Case 2 provided by Mr. William Jobe, DSV